Pages - Menu

Monday, November 10, 2008

We buy books but...

I do not want to buy your very lovely modern set of Encyclopaedia Britannica, or your nice leatherette Heron books which look so pretty on your shelf with their ornate gold coloured decoration and jewel-coloured covers. I'm not interested in your complete set of Dickens that look old. I have no need for any Mills and Boon romances. Spare me the embarrassment of saying no to your Book Club Editions, which may look like the real thing but whose paper browns quicker than an old leathery sun-worshipper. Reader's Digest Condensed - oh give me a break. If it's in really good condition except for the fact that the covers aren't attached, chances are I'm not bothered. I don't much like childrens' books which are covered in crayon scribble, or old books which are damp stained and mildewy. Just because a book is old, does not mean it's worth a fortune -they used to make lots of them you know, in the old days, before Eastenders, and mainly they aren't saleable.

No comments: